Idaho Waterfowl Associations Forums
October 01, 2014, 02:17:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the IWA Forums

IWA Home Join IWA   Forums   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Boise River -- Dixie Access  (Read 3844 times)
RedLegs
IWA Lifetime Member
IWA Member

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2009, 04:53:31 pm »

Anyone been down to the Boise River Dixie Access this past week? Seems Corp of Engineering has placed a few rocks along river to stop boat launching. Heard that the site was never intended for a boat ramp just Sportsmen Access to river. People have abused in the past 2 months. There were 3 4 boats launched each morning and 7-10 rigs parked there most of the day. Also heard that there was talk of someone guiding 3 groups a day there. Has anyone heard anything about this?
Bluduck
IWA BOD 2008-09

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 09:49:55 pm »

News to me.  I have launced there in the past and its unfortunate to lose that ability.  I'm not sure why the corp of engineers would care?HuhHuh  I would guess that was a fish and game action if in fact it is true.  I will check and see what is going on.  I very seriously doubt 3-4 motor boats were launching there a day.  I think there are less than 5 guys that would run have the ability to run that river.  I know 7-10 rigs are parked there most days, mostly guys jump shooting the river from canoes and such.  How exactly is this abusing the access?HuhHuhHuhHuh??

Kenny
Paul S.
IWA Lifetime Member
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 10:45:11 pm »

Could be a landowner decision too. The attached map I pulled off the hunt planner on the IDFG site shows the entire area as private land.

There used to be a Sportsman's Access on the E shore of the Snake down from Marsing, but the landowner got sick of the trash and other abuse and took it away from the program. (That's what I heard anyway)

* HUNT_ifwis356686068196889.jpg (29.11 KB, 450x500 - viewed 98 times.)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 11:10:43 pm by Paul S. » Logged
Tedlyduckster
IWA BOD 2007-08

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 09:58:53 am »

Interesting.  It's been years since the one and only time FowLogic and I tried that spot.
The sportsman's access guide lists Dixie as providing waterfowling, yet it also says it's
only 2 acres in size (and I don't think it's even that big).  So, if you can't launch a boat there,
how in the world would you hunt ducks there?  By standing at the water's edge and pass shooting?
That would allow 1 party at most to hunt there.

So why are they upset about people launching boats there?  If people are willing to risk scratches
and dents in their boats by launching without a ramp, why prevent them from doing so?

"My first duck!  Lying out there on the thin ice, white breast up, dead as a doornail.  The President and Fred had declined to shoot.  They were furthering the education of a novice.  They were, in fact, letting the duck hunting virus take full effect.  They laughed at me and pounded me on the back
seal
BOD: Mark Smith
IWA BOD 2009-2010

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 12:36:44 pm »

I agree with you guys.........no reason to limit the area like that. The only thing I can come up with is safety. Maybe they are getting too many guys launching there that have no business boating that section. Maybe the sheriff is sick of bailing them out?HuhHuh?? Just a thought Huh
swampswimmingshrek
BOD: Bryce Roberts
IWA BOD 2009-2010

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 01:01:59 pm »

Shoot I planned on testing a shallow water boat there tomorrow I guess I better go check the ramp. Huh
Bluduck
IWA BOD 2008-09

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 10:13:42 am »

I checked with Jeff Knetter at the Fish and Game and he is going to do some checking for us.  He said that he was unaware of any Corp projects that were pending but he would do some checking.  The rocks are not blocking the access yet, but they sure look like they were piled there for that purpose.

Kenny
Bluduck
IWA BOD 2008-09

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 07:45:43 pm »

Jeff told me today that the habitat biologist who would be in charge of that area was unaware of the rocks bieng put there and was going to look into it.  I will keep everyone posted as more info comes available.

Kenny

Kenny
swampswimmingshrek
BOD: Bryce Roberts
IWA BOD 2009-2010

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 11:39:13 am »

You forgot that part that is was the Erosion Control distric and that they can't get ahold of anyone at that office yet.
Toothshucker
BOD: Chris Loomis; IWA Lifetime Member
IWA BOD 2009-2010

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 08:45:40 pm »

It wouldn't suprise me if a landowner was involved, I know there's one downstream from there that would love to see the river shut down to hunting on that stretch of the Boise.But...don't really know where they came from but they are certainly large rocks.
Bluduck
IWA BOD 2008-09

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 06:59:46 pm »

Talked to Jeff again.  Turns out that a new owner purchased the adjacent land and asked for a survey and the entire area where people park is actually his land and he wants it back.  This will make Dixie essentially a road width down to the river with no parking.  It will be  walk in access only.  The rocks are for a dam of some sort that the corp is going to be putting in soon.

Kenny

Kenny
dukkhnter
BOD: Bryce Cook; IWA BOD 2008-2009
IWA BOD 2009-2010

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 09:16:24 pm »

Maybe an odd question, but what about the other side of the road?  The road should be a fixed width, wouldn't this mean that the other side should be part of the road now?  I haven't been down to dixie in a long time so I can't quite remember what it looks like.
Bluduck
IWA BOD 2008-09

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 11:19:08 pm »

The way I understand it is that it is just a road down to the river, thats all the Fish and Game has access to.  The parking lot was private property.

Kenny
dukkhnter
BOD: Bryce Cook; IWA BOD 2008-2009
IWA BOD 2009-2010

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 09:03:45 am »

The way I understand it is that it is just a road down to the river, thats all the Fish and Game has access to.  The parking lot was private property.

So people can probably still park on the side of the road?

I was understanding it to be that the road was surveyed in the wrong spot and now they are narrowing it to walking path only.
FG Duckhead
IWA Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 07:19:53 pm »

All,

Here is the latest on the Dixie Access. 

This access site will no longer be accessible by vehicles such as cars or trucks.  The property has been re-surveyed, and the actual amount of property owned by the IDFG is much smaller than what is currently fenced.  The access area will still be accessible on foot and folks could use carts to get watercraft to the launch site.  A new parking area will be constructed near the road. 

I believe the property on the right (east) will be entered into the Access Yes program.

The large rocks were placed there by the local flood protection district.  They will be placed in the River to re-direct the force of flow away from the bank to prevent erosion.

Hope that helps!

Jeff
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: